Monday, November 2, 2009

How to Teach with Technology: Science and Math

The idea of teaching science and math with technology would create, I believe, instant engagement for my students. They are already deep immersed in the digital culture and feel quite comfortable maneuvering in this world. I on the other hand am deeply mired in the analog era and find technology to be complicated and daunting. Yet, I realize the important of technology for students today. For me, this article expanded the term "technology." When I think of technology, I think of computers (spreadsheets, internet, etc), not cameras, camcorders, video games, DVDs, etc. The article suggested using movies and cartoons to teach science and math. I like the idea of making movies that I know my students love and are very familiar with and using them to teach concepts. It would give my students any opportunity to see the movie, that they have probably viewed a thousand times, in a new light. That is something I could do with some success. Is there a website that suggest what movies and curriculum concepts/content would work well together? I also like the "Counting on Lego" activity to teach algebra. Algebra is such an abstract concept and it would be to any teachers advantage to present concrete and pictorial activities to help students create understanding. I was also not familiar with the animating geography website. As I read the description of this activity, it gave me the feeling that it follows the video game format and would probably be a good independent activity for students. I like the idea of the writing the script for the characters. The article provided many good examples of how to teach with technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment